Thursday, April 24, 2008

I'm finally done pouting

Don't let this picture fool you....I'm really good at posing and smiling for a camera, right after the picture was taken I went right back to crying.
Actually right after the picture was taken, I heard some crazy fool yell, "Hey, slow down!" Later I found out it was my husband Michael, he wanted to take another picture. Don't be confused, it was not because I was running so fast that he couldn't take a picture, it is because our camera is so slow. I think it can only take one picture per minute. What kind of crazy person yells, "Slow Down!" at the end of a race?!?!?!?

Anyways....

I'm finally done pouting so now I can tell you about the 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) I ran last Saturday. I didn't do as well as I had hoped.

I thought I was so well prepared, I had done a 10 mile run, thinking if I can do 10, I can do 13, no problem. This has worked for me in the past. I had done plenty of long runs 7, 8, 9 milers. But, those long runs were on a nice inside track, no wind, no hills, no hard pavement, and Apolo Ohno in the distance. I had not done any outside running all season, plus I decided only a month and a half ago that I was going to do the race, so I didn't have as much prep time as I would normally give myself. I tend to jump into things.

The race started out well, except that I wasn't able to empty the old bladder before the race. I decided I would take a bathroom break on the course somewhere. At about mile 4, there was a short downhill jaunt. I won't mention what happened concerning my bladder and the embarrassing thing I did in front of 100's of people. Soon after, my knee started to ache, it had been bothering me the last couple weeks, but I bought some new insoles for my shoes and called it good. The knee was still hurting on my long runs, but I thought I could get through it with positive thinking. It was hurting when running on a nice cushy track, I should have known it would double the pain running on pavement. Again, I overestimated the power of my positive thinking.

I already had a blister and I really should have been sensible on this one, positive thinking won't keep a blister from getting worse. I could have at least put a patch of mole skin on it or something! I had to try really hard not to think about that blister. Self Talk: Think positive, think positive, oh this blister hurts, oh my aching knee, this is so fun, no it's not, think positive, think positive.

Potty break. Oh, it felt so good to stop running AND to go potty. There was a few minute wait, and I was glad to take it.

Around mile 9 is where the marathon course and the 1/2 marathon course merge. I began to have flashbacks of running the marathon on that very same course 4 years earlier, seeing the sign "Mile 23" made me sick to my stomach, I remembered the pain in every cell of my body, the chaffing on my arms from years ago came back to haunt me. OH, and some peanut company has the nerve to advertise their peanuts at that point, give me a break, the last thing I want is a packet of salty peanuts! It made me want to vomit my goo energy packet just thinking about eating them.

My goal was to run it in less than 2 hours. I thought this was a pretty generous goal, it was in line with my practice run pace, and I always run a lot faster in a race. All the people running along with you, the crowds, the music, normally make me run faster..... I finished at 2:09. This is about 25 mins. slower than my best 1/2 marathon time.

I wanted to cry. I was angry with myself, but mostly disappointed that I didn't do better.

BUT, after a few days of contemplation, I'm realizing the positives from this experience:
  • I got in better shape, and we all know that swimsuit weather is ensuing
  • I got a hilarious story involving my brother and a banana....to be shared in a future post
  • I have a time to beat in August when I run the Hobble Creek 1/2 marathon
  • After Reece saw the finish line and the excitement of racing, he wants to start training for a 5k (3 miles)
  • Michael hopped on a treadmill this week (I'm so proud!)

Pictured Below my brother Cam, Me, Cameron's wife Betty (I'm in the middle so they can hold me up)
Actually I ended up with a blister the size of a silver dollar and I didn't want to stand on it.

19 comments:

Kevin Pratt said...

That was hilarious. You are way too modest, Marisa. You look like you are from a magazine in that first pic. It is a good lesson for us all to know that things aren't always as they appear. You may be beautiful, but just like the rest of us who have birthed children, you wet your pants...and probably not just in races, sometimes when you sneeze:)

Kristi said...

You forgot on your list of positives that somehow, after running 13.1 miles, you STILL look like a supermodel. You are amazing! I can't even run a whole mile straight. Good job!

Kathy said...

i'll echo kristi - you look amazing after running that long!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i look like a bag of poo after i work out - let alone running 13 miles. well done! very inspiring. i hope to start running soon. . . once all the snow melts.

Mike said...

Did you guys see Bert in the background cheering Marisa on. He is a big fan of hers.

Brandi said...

You are such an inspiration! I can't believe you ran that long while you were in pain with a blister! That's amazing.

I did see Bert cheering you on in the background. At least you still have a smile on your face at the end of the race. And why doesn't your face look red at all? So unfair!! You made great time, too!

A great tip that my husband gave me-(from all his time at the roller skating rink as a kid, he's had a lot of blisters) If you wear nylons over your socks, it will prevent blisters. I have a blister right now and I tried it today while I ran, and it didn't hurt at all. You can buy those ankle nylons from Walmart for 37 cents! See if that helps yours. Although mine is the size of a dime, not near the size of a silver dollar! Anyway, way to go!

Becca and Chad said...

Great job, you look great, skinny girl!

Stephanie said...

crud. now i'm 100 times more scared for mine. i have to run for TWO HOURS STRAIGHT? (well, more than that, actually- since i'm sure i won't be breaking any of YOUR records...)

megan said...

I like the expression of the guy right behind you in the first pic. That goes to show that you look amazingly hot - especially when compared with his expression. And the way you're standing in the last makes you look like a j.crew model. so add to your list of positives that you got some pictures of yourself running where you look mega hot. Your kids and grandkids will never know your time - just how hot you look in those photos.

Nora Mair said...

You look so good! Hobble Creek....I had a dream to run that one. Maybe once I hang up my birthing saddle for good...yea like in 2015.

Unknown said...

You guys are all WAY to nice. Maybe I need to start doing posts like this more often, it will be good for my self-esteem.

Unknown said...

Oh, and Stephanie, you can TOTALLY do it, I just set my expectations for myself way to high given the circumstances.

Nora, no need to wait until you are off the "birthing saddle", come train for the Hobble, it is going to be so fun!

Vanalee said...

You are amazing you just finish one race and you are ready to start training for another one! You are more beautiful than ever(I don't use that "hot" word). Rick wants me to climb Mt Fuji in September and you have inspired me to get out of this chair and start training ;)

Holly said...

You are a trooper - I can't even run a mile so the fact that you ran 13 without dying is inspiring. And Kristi is right - you look sensational for having run yourself ragged.

Unknown said...

Mt. Fugi, how cool! That is WAY better than running a stinking little race. So, are you going to do it???

Chris and Jamie said...

you have me scared. I hope I did not bite off more than I can chew.

The Peake Family said...

Marissa you are awesome! I can only imagine how you feel. You look great in the pics. If we could all look like you, life would be grand..

Dan and Dee said...

CONGRAT'S on your running accomplishment!!! You DO look GREAT!

I don't understand the running bug. Lewis was told no one can run a marathon first year of med school so of course he had to do it. He ran it last Sat. Not much training and yet he ran it in 2 hours 53 min--
in Nashville Tennessee...singing was going on all along the way!

Elle said...

What??? I didn't know that you ran already!!! I thought it was later in the year! Well, at least SOMEBODY'S in shape for swimsuit season. Every day, David and I tell each other we'll go to the gym, then we go back to sleep! Haha. Good job though! Laree was talking about the family reunion the other day, and I'm excited for it. Just no putting food all over your face when we go out in public this time k? ;) and I still dust Buster no more!

stressedkris said...

I am so proud of you. I don't think I could ever do that. Congrats!

Related Posts with Thumbnails