Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Monsoon Season?

We had the craziest rainstorm yesterday. All of a sudden the wind picked up, and enormous rain drops fell from the sky. Reece and Maya begged me to let them play in it. I was hesitant because that just meant more dirty laundry, postponing my errands, and there is always that part of me that remembers the old wives tale about getting a cold if you play in the rain.

Then I remembered the amazing rain storms we would get in Texas, it would rain so much that the gutters couldn't keep up and it would flood our street. Those were such good memories, I couldn't deprive my kids the same opportunity, especially since we rarely see a great rainstorm like this one was. The kids made one lap around the driveway.


Then came running up the stairs.


And yelled, "Aghhhh, I'm getting bruised out there!"

Not only was it raining humongous raindrops, it was also hailing.

In the end they did get to play in the rain for about 17.5 seconds, I get to do extra laundry, and it postponed my errands. Was it worth it? hmmmm...

8 comments:

Brandi said...

Wasn't that crazy? I was listening to the radio before it happened and there was a weather alert warning everyone to take shelter and stay away from windows and that the winds would be 80 mph with hail being an inch wide! I was thinking the same thing you were. Monsoons? My kids thought it was cool, too, and Hayden took a little run outside as well. Crazy weather we're having.

BTO said...

easily worth it..
i wish i could still go out and do that. we get some good storms out here in north carolina, but i'm normally working. as soon as i don't have to work and it dumps, i'll be in it for 17.6 seconds. let them enjoy themselves!
you will be happy you let them do it when you look at those pictures in a few years!
cam

Holly said...

Sometime it is a lot easier to give 'em what they want and then clean up after. The whining over not getting to play in the rain (and your inevitable guilt because of it) would last for days.

m. said...

yes worth it! we didn't have that down here! i so miss rain like that...

Amber said...

You're the greatest mom EVER! What's an extra load of laundry compared to your kids getting bruised by nature?!

Vanalee said...

You are such a great mom. I wish that I was as spontaneous as you are. Running in the rainstorm is a much better memory than a grouchy mom.

Dan and Dee said...

Rain Rain hooray for rain!
It is so fun that you let the kids play like that!
Clint remembers me letting him play in the rain in Midland and he got an ear infection. I don't know if he will ever let his kids play in the rain.
cute pictures...

The Bach 10 said...

I missed it, We were with a k12 family in South Jordan swimming when my neighbor called me on my cell to assure our safety. We came home to a flooded garden and a few neighbors flooded basements. I spent most of that day and next helping a neighbor with their flooded basement. What a mess. I lost my corn inthe garden and just about everthing else. You can see our garden pictures at bachgarden.blogspot.com
Glad to see your pictures my kids were just amazed at all the damage it created.

Related Posts with Thumbnails