Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Peace offerings from the earth









This year I have battled with the earth and tried to get it to produce some sort of vegetation that is edible. I started all my seeds months ago inside the house, most popped up and were doing well, others didn't make it. When it was time for my little plants to brave the outdoors, I carefully tilled the earth, made sure it stayed moist, got neat little hoses that would trickle water right to their roots, made sure there were not nasty weeds that would crowd them, etc. I also planted some seeds right into the soil; carrots, beets, radishes, cauliflower, and onions. To my dismay, I watched as the birds pecked away all the seeds, and despite the nifty hoses, the brave little plantlings scorched. At this point, I threw my hands in the air and said, "forget it!"

But, the earth has come to me with a peace offering. It is as if it is saying, "Don't give up on me, I will do better to produce for you next year. Here is a gift to enjoy, it isn't much, but it might help you remember what great things I can make."

The peace offering worked, I won't give up on my little plot of earth that I call a garden. I will weed, and till, and water, and plant, and weed some more, all in hopes of some edible vegetation.

Maya discovered the peace offering amongst the weeds, she proudly modeled the 2 squash.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails