Monday, November 2, 2009

New Suit

I have begun to really love swimming, with all the swimming for exercise and taking the kids to the pool, I had worn out my suit quickly. I can normally get about 2 years out of a suit, but with all the use and exposure to chlorine, it's worn out. I knew it was time for a new one when I held it up to the light, and you could see right through it. The bottoms of my tankini elastic was so stretched out that when I would do a flip turn and push off the wall, they would flutter, offering less than ideal coverage. Being the off season for swimming, I didn't think there would be many options for suits in the stores. I turned to online shopping for my new suit.

I was excited to find a site that offered a virtual model. I could enter my height, weight, and a few other options that described my body type, then it showed me what I would look like in each particular suit. After entering all my data, this is what I was shown.




SWEET, I'm going to look hot in my swimsuit, right? Wrong!

First off, anyone that has more than 10% body fat on their body, will not look like the above picture. Speedos are so tight that they slice right into the fat leaving you with a large bulge on both sides of the suit. Second, they should have more options than just height, weight, and whether or not you are large chested. They need to have an option for cellulite: little, moderate, or excessive, it really makes a difference in how you look in swimsuit. Just to be fair, I think they should also offer varicose veins, cankles, and knee fat on your virtual model.

This is more realistic of what I saw when I put on the suit.


I'm not even sure why they give you the option to choose a bust size. It isn't like anyone has a chest once they put a speedo on. Speedo really got it right when they figured out how to make you perfectly flat up top, while allowing the midsection to show in all it's glory.
If you happen to chance upon a virtual model in your online shopping, don't trust it!

11 comments:

Abbie said...

Marisa! That is so funny and so true about the virtual models online. I'm shopping for swim suits online right now too... I'm sure you've heard of Lime Rikki, but if not check them out... cute suits.

Unknown said...

Abbie, thanks for the heads up on Lime Rikki, I had never heard of them. So cute!

Nora Mair said...

Crackin' me up there! What is it with racing suits and bust compression?

RightHahn said...

athleta.com also has some great choices. I love the one I got there a couple of years ago...

And...I've never owned a speedo for the very reasons you so beautifully described;).

Jennifer said...

OK, if you, YOU have such troubles with a swim suit I'm never wearing one again.

{{thunderous applause and thank yous}}

Julianna said...

lol! seriously, laughing so hard! Ain't that the truth. I love the "adjusted" pics :)

Holly said...

I know what you mean - about the models and about Speedo suits. I bought one in "my size" once, got it home and was shocked to find I couldn't even begin to squeeze into it, let alone wear it without frightening small children. If they just put an option on the model for "Number of children" it would fix all the other shortfalls of the model.

Kathy said...

HA HA HA HAAAA! you are hilarious. and that is so true about having no bust in a speedo. . . not that i have one without, but whatever. anyway - hilarious.

Elle said...

yup, you're pics are definitely more realistic, except for maybe a few stretch marks here and there... unless i'm the only one who had them appear somewhere else besides her belly ;)

p.s. are you doing cloth diapers now?? i never heard how that went

Kristi said...

This is so hillarious. I bought a speedo online, too - without the virtual model, though, and yes, fat pads squishing out the sides. Not so pleased!

Stephanie said...

knee fat... HAHAHA. great post.

Related Posts with Thumbnails