Saturday, February 21, 2009

Repurposed Skirt

I've had this skirt since around the time Reece was born, so at least 8 years. It actually got lost in the dark recesses of my closet and I found it recently and realized it was time for it to be retired. I wanted to make something else out of it because of the story behind it.

Here is the story, it may be completely boring, so feel free to skip over this part.

At the time I bought it, Michael and I were dirt poor college students. Reece was a newborn, so I quit my job and no longer contributed an income. Michael was working maintenance at Campus Plaza, an apartment building near BYU and was also a full time student. In the college paper or magazine there was and article about 2 or 3 members of the BYU track team and one of them was a friend of mine from high school. I cut it out and with a little note like, "I'm sure you've gotten a thousand of these, but I thought I would send it anyways" I sent it to his mom (Dee Jones). Apparently his mom had heard about the article, but was unable to get a copy of it, so the copy I sent was the only copy she had. Along with a thank you note she included a gift card to Old Navy. That gift card meant the world to me, it meant a new outfit! It seems so silly now, but back then it was so rare to get new clothes. So, with the gift card, I bought this skirt and a shirt.

It was so thoughtful of Dee to send the gift card, and I don't think she knows how much it meant to me and what a blessing it was. Hopefully, now you do Dee.Since I'm such a sentimentalist, I decided to make a bag out of it.
And here is the finished product. The pictures were taken a few months ago, before I was pregnant, I miss my waist!

10 comments:

Elle said...

i still feel bad about the name thing! really i do! and i hear you about not having a waist anymore...

david says you should name her madison though, but i'm sure you might have something in mind

i LOVE that bag by the way!! the fabric with the jean is CUTE!

Alison said...

Cute bag and congrats on the little girl - so fun!

Kathy said...

oh my gosh - i LOVE that bag. well done marisa!

Unknown said...

Oh my HECK...I had the same skirt...prolly from just as long ago! I just took it to D.I. So jealous I didn't make a bag out if it. Divine.

Jennifer said...

I miss my waist, too. Wait -- my baby is 18 months old. What's my deal?

Vanalee said...

Great story and fabulous bag!

Dan and Dee said...

wow, I had no idea this was a lift for you! Makes me glad I followed through with something!

I was just catching up on everyone's blogs (with Candace here I have neglected reading, but she is asleep so I am catching up now).
I LOVE the picture of your tummy with your children!
I love that you are pregnant with your fourth! I love your comments about the technician! I wish they would read it!!! I love you!!

Dan and Dee said...

I meant to say I love the story, I forgot why I sent the $$. Makes me glad I did and I love that you made something else out of it to have it endure. You are so special Marisa!

Unknown said...

Dee, you can love me too if you want!!!

Dan and Dee said...

AND I DO!!!!
LOVE YA LOVE YA LOVE YA!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails